Saturday, February 27, 2010

Embedding video?

Let's see if I can do this!

In my final semester here, I'm still taking a gen-ed! (Haha...) It's Non-Western Religious Traditions and it is definitely more insightful than I first thought it was going to be. This past week, we watched a performance of Zen music... the thing about it is, it's four minutes and thirty-three seconds of the performer NOT playing the instrument and the audience observing. That's right... The piece is "silent" for lack of a better word. The whole concept of it is really confusing to me still, but it has to do with concentrating on the world around you and realize that the music and the true emotions that we feel is dependent on what's around you and what's happening in the moment. The ambient sound is what makes the performance and it's different every single time. A new experience to experience.

Below is a performance of the piece with full orchestral accompaniment. Enjoy!



How do I make it smaller?! I tried screwing around with the width on HTML but didn't work...

Nevermind, I fixed it!

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this "non-music"! I'm sure there were some people in the audience who didn't know what they were getting into and weren't too happy about it, but I think it makes for a great social experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this piece before! We talked about it in one of my gen-ed music classes. I know that if I were in that audience, I'd want my money back, but that's just me. Even though I personally don't like it and don't buy into the whole "non-music" idea, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what it's trying to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you for adjusting the YouTube video to fit the blog width!

    ReplyDelete